Offering you cost effective solutions

Wealth, Asset Management, Services, Tax Planning Advice, Newtown, Shrewsbury, Wales

Personal Services

Business Services

Agri Law Services

 twitter-bird-white-on-blue30x30.png   Google+   download.png   f_logo30x30.png 
Bold Legal Logo

Wealth & Asset Management Services, Tax Planning Advice, Mid Wales

Wealth & Asset Management Services, Tax Planning Advice in Newtown, Welshpool, Shrewsbury, Aberystwyth, Rhayader, Llanidloes, Powys, Mid Wales

What situations are we talking about?

You may have concerns about what happens to your assets in certain situations e.g. prior to or after entering into a marriage or a civil partnership. You may wish to enter into a cohabitation, pre-nuptial or post-nuptial agreement.

Did you know that, once married, all assets can become matrimonial assets? A pre-nuptial agreement is a document which anyone contemplating marriage should consider entering into. It records the division of assets in the event of there being a divorce at some future date. As a result of the Supreme Court case of Radmacher v Granatino, the court has recorded for the first time that pre-nuptial agreements are now enforceable. It is important that parties receive professional and specialist advice before entering into such an agreement.

What about Inheritance Tax and Care Home fees?

You may also be concerned about inheritance tax. More and more people are finding that inheritance tax (IHT) will be payable on their estates in the event of death. Based on the 2012/2013 tax year, if a person leaves more that £325,000 on their death, there is a potential IHT liability to pay tax at 40% on the excess. Married couples or civil partners can double up their tax allowance on the second person`s death. However, this does not assist clients who are not married.  We can explore with you and other professionals including your accountant and financial advisor numerous ways to reduce inheritance liability including:-

  • Gifts of assets
  • Inheritance Tax Insurance
  • Gift and Loan Trusts
  • Investment in assests qualifying for relief from IHT relief

Most people would prefer to remain and receive care in their own home irrespective of any physical or mental infirmity.  This is a principle of community care.  It maybe the case that care either at home or in a nursing or care home has to be funded.   Legal issues relating to care are expanding and are becoming more and more complex.  Care can be funded by the NHS and early advice is recommended.  You may need advice on such matters as:-


  • Should you be charged for the care
  • Is any care contract reasonable
  • Will your spouse/civil partner or partner be expected to pay towards your care
  • What will happen to your home
  • What assests need to be valued and which have to be sold
  • Can insurance be taken out to cover any care
  • Are there any welfare benefits payable to you
  • Do you need to make Lasting Power of Attorney
  • Should you make or revise your Will

How does this tie in with my Will?

You may not be aware that within two years of the date of death, the provisions of a Will or intestacy can be varied by means of a Deed of Variation to preserve assets in the estate.

How does this tie in with a Power of Attorney?

Have you thought about what would happen if you suffered an accident, stroke or senile dementia? In these situations a Lasting power of Attorney will help someone else manage your affairs if you become incapable of doing so. These are issues which people find difficult to confront. Let Milwyn Jenkins & Jenkins help you to make the right legal decisions for yourself and members of your family.

How can we help?

Milwyn Jenkins & Jenkins can advise you in all of these areas. If you require further specialist advice, we are also able to signpost you to other professionals such as accountants, financial advisers and tax specialists in the areas of taxation, accountancy and finance. In this way we can help you plan for the future and to put your affairs in order, so as to give you and your loved ones maximum peace of mind. Contact us for further advice and to set up an appointment so that we can assess your situation and give you an estimate of our fees.

Who do I contact?

Our specialist lawyers at Milwyn Jenkins & Jenkins Solicitors will be happy to advise and assist you without obligation in plain English and will be happy to answer any questions or queries you may have. Telephone us now for a free initial discussion on 01686 412166 or complete our online enquiry form or e-mail us at


Milwyn Jenkins & Jenkins
Llanidloes Office
Mid Wales House
Great Oak Street
SY18 6BN

T: 01686 412 166
F: 01686 413 580

Milwyn Jenkins & Jenkins
Rhayader Office
Glan Wye House
West Street

T: 01597 810 533

Milwyn Jenkins & Jenkins
Machynlleth Office
2 Heol Maengwyn,
SY20 8AE

T: 01654 554000

See Map

  • Testimonials

“Thank you for your help in looking after my best interests”.


  • Testimonials

Milwyn Jenkins & Jenkins have handled various transactions for me for over 35 years. Indeed, the firm also acted for my late father since the 1950s. I have always found the service to be excellent and second to none.

Garth Williams, formerly of Dolhafren, Caersws